Besok (Senin), saya ada ujian tengah semester in-class. Mata kuliah Politics in Latin America. Alternatif soal ujiannya sudah dikirim oleh profesor via email. Dia kirim 6 alternatif soal, 4 akan dikeluarkan dalam ujian dan kami harus menjawab 3 diantaranya besok saat ujian itu. Jadi, kalau mau aman, saya harus menyiapkan diri dengan menjawab 5 soal.
Questions for Mid-Term Exam
The mid-term exam will be given in class next Monday, March 5. The exam will have an essay format, and you will have the full 2 hours and 40 minutes. Please bring three blank blue books (one for each question). Please write your exam in (preferably black) pen.
Four of the following questions will appear on the exam. You will write on any three.
1. Drawing on pertinent readings for this course to date, discuss alternative explanations for the third wave (cycle) of democracy in Latin America. Do the explanations for Latin America deviate from more universal explanations? If so, how? What are some major differences between previous and contemporary experiences with democracy in Latin America?
2. Discuss (a) major factors that have shaped party systems in Latin America and (b) the ways in which the party system may influence democratic governability in the region. Illustrate with key examples.
3. Discuss the major variations in the systems for electing presidents and legislatures in Latin America. What are the direct and potential consequences of these variations? Illustrate with key examples.
4. Why was there a serious debate about the merits of parliamentary and presidential regimes at the advent of the third wave (cycle) of democracy in Latin America? Summarize and assess the arguments in favor of each position, as well as any alternative(s).
5. Discuss the various powers of the presidency in Latin America, illustrating with key examples. What is the most appropriate distribution of powers between the executive and legislature? Can this optimal balance vary?
6. Discuss alternative conceptual approaches to the issue of “accountability” in Latin America. What has been the region’s experience with the major types of accountability institutions? Illustrate with key examples.